I WANT TO JOIN AS A SOLDIER, WHAT DO I NEED?
- To join as a soldier, you do not need any qualifications.
- There are some roles, which may be more technical, where some qualifications are needed. These details can be found in the role descriptions in the role finder.
DO I NEED A DEGREE TO BECOME AN OFFICER?No, unless you want to serve as a Professionally Qualified Officer. When we recruit officers, we look for qualities rather than qualifications. You can start training to become an officer when you leave school at 18. You will have the chance to earn a degree while you're serving - with the added benefit of earning a great salary at the same time.
I WANT TO JOIN AS A OFFICER, WHAT DO I NEED?
If you've taken GCSEs:
35 ALIS points from 7 subjects, at least grade C/4 in English Language, Maths and either Science or a foreign language
If you've taken SNQs:
34 ALIS points from 7 subjects, at least grade C/2 in English Language, Maths and either Science or a foreign language
72 UCAS Tariff points from a maximum of 3 subjects (4 for Scottish Highers and excluding General Studies) with a minimum of 2 at National Level 3 (excluding AS Levels) or National or International equivalent.
Applicants who have not followed a mainstream academic route, but believe that their academic qualifications merit consideration, should contact us on 0345 600 8080.
How to work out ALIS score
Add up the value of your top 7 results from the following:
- 8 points for: GCSE A*/9, BTEC (level 2) Distinction*
- 7.5 points for: GCSE Low A* - High A/8
- 7 points for: GCSE A/7, NAT (level 5) A, BTEC (level 2) Distinction
- 6 points for: GCSE B/6, NAT (level 5) B, BTEC (level 2) Merit
- 5 points for: GCSE C/4&5, NAT (level 5) C, BTEC (level 2) Pass
- 4 points for: GCSE D/3, NAT (level 5) D, NAT (level 4)