WHAT IS THE GAP YEAR COMMISSION?
WHO CAN APPLY?
To apply for the scheme, you should be about to start your final year at school, and be planning to go to university after your gap year. You should also be:
- 18 by 1 August, of the year you will start training at Sandhurst.
- Predicted to get 72 UCAS points (or equivalent) and have 35 ALIS points, including a C/4 or above in English language, maths and a science or foreign language). You will need to meet these standards to start training
- Able to provide evidence of your intent to take up a place at university following the gap year
- Physically fit
Army Scholars cannot apply for this scheme
HOW TO APPLY?
To apply, simply register for an account and fill out the online application form. This should only take a few minutes. Once you're in the process, you'll have plenty of support from our team.
What happens next?
Once you've applied, you'll be interviewed by your local Recruiter, and then when you're ready you'll be booked in to officer selection at Westbury.
Skills you'll gain include:
- Learning how to overcome physical and mental challenges
- Developing your leadership qualities and gaining key management skills
You have no liability to continue service following your gap year, but we do hope that you will. One option is to serve as a commissioned officer in the Army Reserve whilst at university, or apply for the Regular Commissioning course, after university, if you'd like to serve as an officer full time.
DID YOU KNOW?
If you're not taking a gap year, but still want a taste of being an Army officer you could take part in the Army’s one year leadership development programme; Lead First.