The Guards are proven in combat as light and mechanised infantry and train across the world.
"I chose to be a guardsman because I wanted to go on operations. I deploy to Afghanistan next year."
They might be famous for standing guard outside Buckingham Palace in their red tunics, but British Army guardsmen are also fully trained combat soldiers who deploy on operations abroad. Join them and you'll take part in everything from peacekeeping and disaster relief to armed conflict. You'll also take part in some of Britain's most high-profile public events, like Trooping the Colour.
- Become a highly trained frontline infantry soldier.
- Specialise in reconnaissance as part of your infantry duties.
- Operate mortars, machine guns and anti-tank missile systems.
- Train as a junior non-commissioned officer and lead Guardsmen.
- Serve with the Guards Parachute Platoon as part of 16 Air Assault Brigade.
- Take part in state ceremonial events like Trooping the Colour
TRAINING FOR THE ROLE
You will be called forward for the 30 week Combat Infantry Course at Catterick. Guards Company instructors will coach you through progressive training in physical fitness, firing weapons, navigation, tactics, survival and driving. If you are 16-17 years and 5 months old, you start at the Army Foundation College Harrogate first, then train at Catterick.
On completion of your initial training in the Guards Company at Catterick, you will move to your Guards battalion. Guards battalions conduct training in UK and in Kenya, Canada and Belize routinely. More concentrated periods of mission specific training prepare Guards battalions for operations abroad.
Age: 16 years - 35 years 6 months
QUALIFICATIONS: No formal qualifications needed
FITNESS: Lift 40kg, Carry 120m, 1.5 mile run in 12 min 45 sec (14 min 30 sec for junior entry)
From 1 April 2019, the tests you take at the Assessment Centre will change:
Mid Thigh Pull 76kg
Medicine Ball Throw 3.1m
2km run 10m 15s (11m 30s for Junior Entry)
QUALIFICATIONS YOU COULD GET AFTER TRAINING
- Infantry Soldier Combat Skills
- Level 2 Safe Use of Weapons qualification
- Category B driving licence (car) and Category C (medium sized vehicle)
- HM Forces Apprenticeship (Public Services)
- Institute of Leadership and Management Team Leading
- Adventurous Training Qualifications
Learn about rank progression here.
PAY & BENEFITS
Earn £15,230 during training.
When your Initial training is finished, and you join your unit as a Private, your pay will rise to £18,859
FROM THE FIELD
"As a Guardsman, I have become motivated, proactive, confident and committed member of a close-knit team. I am deploying on operations abroad and then I want to be selected as a Lance Corporal. I have also taken part in Trooping the Colour for HM The Queen which was the proudest day of my life."
HOW TO APPLY?
Once your online application has been approved, you'll meet with a local recruiter. This is your chance to tell us about the role that you're interested in. When you go to the Assessment Centre,you'll take tests - the results will show whether you'd be suitable for this role, or should consider a different role.