MAINTAIN AND REPAIR ARMY AIRCRAFT MECHANICAL SYSTEMS
I SPENT 14 WEEKS AT PIRBRIGHT BEFORE LEARNING MY ENGINEERING TRADE. IT WAS EXTREMELY DEMANDING PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY BUT INFINITELY REWARDING.
Training For The Role
You'll start with your initial military training which will teach you how to be a soldier - this will cover everything from fieldcraft to how to handle a rifle. If you join as a Junior Soldier (under 17 years 5 months), you’ll do a 23-week basic military training course at Harrogate. If you join as a Regular Soldier (over 17 years 1 month), you’ll do the regular 14-week adult basic training.
Then it’s off to the Defence School of Electronic and Mechanical Engineering at MoD Lyneham to start your technical training. Over the next 66 weeks, you learn how to fix aircraft including some electrical, hydraulic, gearbox and gas turbine systems. You will also be taught to drive and gain your licences in Car and HGV.
- Mid Thigh Pull 70kg
- Medicine Ball Throw 3.1m
- 2km run 11m 15s (11m 30s for Junior Entry)
Qualifications You Could Get After Training
- Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering Manufacture
- Level 3 Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance and engineering Technology
- Foundation Degree of Engineering (FdEng) – Aviation Engineering
- Qualifications in Leadership and Management
- Car License and opportunity to gain HGV