MAINTAIN AND REPAIR ARMY AIRCRAFT ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS
AVIONICS TECHNICIAN IS VARIED, REWARDING JOB. MAINTAINING SOME OF THE MOST HIGH-TECH EQUIPMENT IN THE ARMY, I FELT A SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY FROM THE GET-GO.
Training For The Role
You'll start with your initial military training which will teach you how to be a soldier - this will cover everything from fieldcraft to how to handle a rifle. If you join as a Junior Soldier (under 17 years 5 months), you’ll do a 23-week basic military training course at Harrogate. If you join as a Regular Soldier (over 17 years 1 month), you’ll do the regular 14-week adult basic training.
Then it’s off to the Defence School of Electronic and Mechanical Engineering at MoD Lyneham. Over the next 82 weeks, you learn how to fix aircraft including their navigating systems, radar, communications, weapons and counter-missile systems. You also learn to drive various Army vehicles.
- Mid Thigh Pull 46kg
- Medicine Ball Throw 3.1m
- 2km run 11m 15s (11m 30s for Junior Entry)
Qualifications You Could Get After Training
- Level 2 Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering Manufacture
- Level 3 Diploma in Engineering Technology
- Bachelor of Science Degree (BSc) in Electronic Systems Engineering
- Qualifications at different levels, in Leadership and Management
- Opportunity to gain Car and HGV licenses